August Progressive Series: Balboa
Taught by Kemper & Aliceann Talley
This month we’re bringing you the swing dance from Southern California in the 1930’s and 40’s. While Lindy Hop evolved with in the spacious Savoy Ballroom in Harlem, Balboa originated on crowded dance floors where leaving close position with your partner wasn’t allowed. First we’ll look at closed position Balboa, or pure-Bal, and focus on keeping close connection with your partner while incorporating interesting and clear rhythms and direction changes. Next, we’ll open up into Bal-Swing and explore more open movements, turns, and rotational momentum.
Keep up with the class at the event page; and tell us what you’re hoping to learn!
Prerequisites: This class is open to swing dancers of all levels! Having some familiarity with any type of swing dance and a willingness to connect closely with your partner will be helpful.
Series meet every Wednesday downstairs at the Laurel Theater from 7-8:15. Classes are $5 a night, include admission to the dance. Cardholders and local students may purchase 4 weeks at once for $15 (1 week free).
Drop in and DJ schedule:
- Aug 3 – Music by Nick & Nate
7:00 – 7:30 pm Intermediate Drop In – Lindy Hop w/ Jacob & Jenna
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 6 Count Lindy w/ Jacob & Jenna
- Aug 10 – Music by Bill & Nate
7:00 – 7:30 pm Intermediate Drop In – Lindy Hop w/ Geoffrey & Rebecca
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 6 Count Lindy w/ Geoffrey & Rebecca
- Aug 17 – Music by Laurel Theater Rhythm Section & Geoffrey
7:00 – 7:30 pm Intermediate Drop In – Charleston w/ Jeremy & Kamaryn
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 8 Count Lindy w/ Jeremy & Kamaryn
- Aug 24 – Music by Jacob & Nick
7:00 – 7:30 pm Intermediate Drop In – Office Hours w/ Keith & Rose
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 8 Count Lindy w/ Keith & Rose
- Aug 31 – Music by Bill & Geoffrey
7:00 – 7:30 pm Intermediate Drop In – Office Hours w/ Jacob & Rose
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 6 Count Lindy w/ Jacob & Rose
Monthly Dance & Workshop: August 20th
Extreme Dancing! 5:15 – 7 pm @ Emporium Annex (check event for directions to the lower level)
- We’ll explore several ranges of your dancing including: dancing in small spaces, taking up a lot of space, dancing to very slow and very fast tempos, and dancing to very early and late jazz music.
- Presale: $12 ($9 with KSDA benefit card or local student ID)
- At the Door: $15 ($12 with KSDA benefit card or local student ID)
Dance 7:30 – 10 pm @ Emporium Annex (check event for directions to the lower level)
- We’re throwing a dance to end the summer and welcome back all the students who have been away!
- Presale/At the Door: $9 ($7 with KSDA benefit card or local student ID)
Dancing/Live Music around Knoxville:
- Mon 8/8 @ 10pm-1am – Soggy Po Boys (NH) @ Barley’s (21+ after 9)
- Fri 8/12 (in Asheville!!!) @ 8:30 pm – Michael Gamble’s Rhythm Serenaders CD Release Party @ ISIS (this is a ticketed event)
- Fri 8/19 @ 7:30-10 pm – inVOLvement fair at UTK Pedestrian Walkway
- Sat 8/20 @ 5:15 pm – KSDA’s Extreme Dancing Workshop (all levels) @ Emporium Annex
- Sat 8/20 @ 7:30 pm – KSDA’s End of Summer Bash @ Emporium Annex
- Tues 8/23 @ 7:30 pm – KSDA Board Meeting (contact us for more info)
- Tues 8/23 @ 10pm-1am – 9th Street Stompers (Chattanooga) @ Barleys (21+ after 9)
- Bal-Ast Off (Balboa) Aug 5 – 7 Huntsville, AL
This year we have FOUR full tracks of Balboa classes planned for you, taught by some of the best instructors in the world! In addition we also have a beginner friendly balboa flight school! Instructors: Nick Williams & Laura Keat (LA), David Rehm & Kate Hedin (Boston), Bobby White (NY), Shani Brown (LA), Corey & Susan Manke (Nashville)
- Great venues! Two amazing live bands — The Downtown Shimmy and Chelsea Reed and the Fair Weather Five — and lots of fantastic DJs! Dance performances! Beach and BBQ! We’ll have it all!
- Cincy Hop Aug 12 – 14 Cincinatti, OH
You can expect hours of dancing, great bands, historic venues, and a weekend of fun in Cincinnati, Ohio. Saturday afternoon’s dance will be held in conjunction with 1940s Day at Lunken Airport hosted by the Cincinnati Museum Center. FEATURING The Boilermaker Jazz Band, Blue Sky 5, Jump ‘n’ Jive Big Band, and more live music announcements to come!
- Sweet Georgia Blues (Blues) Aug 12 – 14, 2015 Atlanta, GA
Join us for an intimate weekend of blues and slow jazz dancing with group classes and master class formats, great live music and some of the best regional DJs. Be here, and be awesome. Mike Grosser with Evin Galang. Live music with Taryn Newborne & the Real Deal
- Great Lakes Balboa Escape Aug 19 – 21 Chicago, IL
The weekend will include unique balboa class tracks with lots of personal attention including Solid Fundamentals, Live music will be provided by Jake Sanders and the other fantastic musicians of Chicago. Instructors: Adam Speen, Nelle Cherry, Bobby White, Jennifer Barnett, Mickey Fortanasce, Kelly Arsenault, Matt Mitchell,Desiree Roffers.
- 9th year of world class workshops, bands, and of course- dance contests. The International Lindy Hop Championships are a showcase and celebration of lindy hop from around the world. Boilermaker Jazz Band, Jonathan Stout’s Orchestra, Jonathan Stout and His Campus Five, ILHC All-Star Band Instructors: Ramona (Australia), Remy (France), Skye (NC), Nick (OC), Alice (France), Todd (New Orleans), Vince, Moe, Nico, Mikaela, Kevin & Jo (San Fran), Naomi (Minneapolis)