November Level 1 Series: Balboa & Bal-Swing
Taught by Aliceann & Kemper
Level 1 classes build off the few basics you’ve learned in the Level 0 drop ins to help you build dances on the social floor. All dancers who have attended more than two Level 0 drop in classes are strongly encouraged to attend this progressive Level 1 Swing series.
Join Aliceann and Kemper for a month of Balboa and Bal-Swing, Balboa, a swing dance that evolved in the crowded ballrooms of Southern California (usually we focus on Lindy Hop – a swing dance that originated in Harlem, New York). You probably have seen many people dancing this on Wednesday nights, and now it’s your chance as well! In addition to learning an awesome fun new way of dancing, you will work on skills like rotational momentum, turns, rhythm, flow, and connecting more comfortably with your partner.
Follow the event for updates.
Series classes meet every Wednesday downstairs at the Laurel Theater from 7-8:15 pm. Classes are $5 a night and include admission to the dance. Cardholders and local students may purchase 4 weeks at once for only $15 (1 week free).
Next Month Level 1 Swing: Solo Jazz
Drop in Lessons and DJ schedule:
- Nov 1: Annual HallowSwing & Costume Contest
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Geoffrey & Rebecca
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Geoffrey & Rebecca
- Nov 8: Music with DJs Bill & D
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Jeremy & Rose
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Jeremy & Rose
- Nov 15: Music with DJs D & Aliceann
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Scott & Rebecca
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Scott & Rebecca
- Nov 22: NO DANCE – Happy Thanksgiving!
- Nov 29: Music with DJs
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Carl & Roman
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Carl & Roman
Been attending our level 0 drop ins? Join us this month for Level 1 Swing, Balboa & Bal-Swing!
Interested in giving back to the swing dancing community by volunteering your time?
We need help in the following places:
Door Entry Workers
Dance Setup and Teardown Volunteers
Social Media Contributors
Social Event Coordinators
Dancing/Live Music around Knoxville:
- Wed Nov 1 @ 8:15 pm – KSDA Annual HallowSwing & Costume Contest @ Laurel Theater
- Fri Nov 3 @ noon – Old City Buskers on Blue Plate Special @ WDVX. Free to attend or listen on WDVX.
- Mon Nov 6 @ 7:30 pm – KSDA Board Meeting
- Thurs Nov 16 @ 7 pm – Old City Buskers @ Phoenix Pharmacy & Soda Fountain
- Tues Dec 5 @ 6:30 – KSDA Community Vision Meeting. Please join us to discuss what changes YOU are interested in seeing in our community!
- Nevermore Jazz Ball Nov 2 – 5 St Louis, MO
***Sold out check out the event page for sold passes*** A one-of-a-kind celebration withfour nights of dancing to live music, two days of workshops, a jazz crawl with live bands on Cherokee Street, vintage vendors, crazy contests, and lots of St. Louis goodness. Instructors: Erin Morris & Nathan Bugh (NY), Joshua Mclean (Seattle), Mandy Hogan & Danny Beyrer (Indianapolis)
- Holy City Blues Exchange (Blues) Nov 2 – 5 Charleston, SC
Join us in beautiful Charleston, SC as we celebrate the joy of Blues. We are happy to bring together musicians, dancers, and friends from across the Southeast and beyond to commence a weekend of hot, fierce, soul shakin’ music!
- Whistle Stop Nov 17 – 19 West Lafayette, IN
An affordable university event with Lindy and Solo tracks. Instructors: Erin Morris (STL), Gabby Cook & Nathan Bugh (NY), Mike “Falty” Faltesek (Chicago) & Lainey Silver (NY), Jenna Applegarth (STL) & Jon Tigert (Baltimore), Dan Repsch (Montreal) & Jenny Sowden (NY)
- Pittstop Lindy Hop (exchange) Nov 17 – 19 Pittsburgh, PA
PittStop welcomes dancers of all ages and experience to a high-energy weekend of swing dancing with 30 hours of music and dancing fun!