September Level 1 Series: 6 Count Building Blocks of Lindy Hop
Taught by Aliceann & Kemper
Level 1 classes build off the few basics you’ve learned in the Level 0 drop ins to help you build dances on the social floor. All dancers who have attended more than two Level 0 drop in classes are strongly encouraged to attend this progressive Level 1 Swing series.
Join Aliceann and Kemper for the month of September to really dig into some of their favorite and most popular 6 count patterns you see in Lindy Hop/Swing dancing. This class will help get you comfortable out on the social floor by building your repertoire, skill level, and ability to dance with a wider range of partners.
Follow the event for updates.
Series classes meet every Wednesday downstairs at the Laurel Theater from 7-8:15 pm. Classes are $5 a night and include admission to the dance. Cardholders and local students may purchase 4 weeks at once for only $15 (1 week free).
Join us in October for Level 1 Swing – 8 Count Classic Lindy Hop Moves with Scott and Rose!
Drop in and DJ schedule:
- Sept 6 – Music with DJs Geoffrey & D
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Carl & Rebecca
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Carl & Rebecca
- Sept 13 – Music with DJs Jeremy & Geoffrey
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Thomas & Roman
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Thomas & Roman
- Sept 20 – Music with DJs Bill & Jeremy
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Scott & Roman
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Scott & Roman
- Sept 27 – Music with DJs Amy & Aliceann
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Geoffrey & Rose
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Geoffrey & Rose
Dancing/Live Music around Knoxville:
- Every Thursday (except the last one) @ 7 pm – Old City Buskers w/ @ Phoenix Pharmacy & Soda Fountain
- Fri Sept 1 @ 7 pm – Old City Buskers @ First Friday – Robin Easter Design
- Fri Sept 1 @ 9 pm – Crossover Dance Night @ Flynn Center (Swing/West Coast/Salsa/Zouk/Bachata) – Lindy Hop Lesson @ 9:30. Dancing @ 10
- Fri Sept 8 – Sun Sept 10 – Annual Swing Festival: Knoxville Lindy Exchange
- Fri Sept 8 @ 7:30 pm – The Rhythm Serenaders @ Flynn Center
- Fri/Sat @ 12:30 – 4 am – Late Night Swing/Blues DJs @ Flynn Center
- Sat @ 1 – 4 pm – Swing DJs @ Emporium Annex
- Sat Sept 9 @ 7:30 pm – The Vanguard Serenaders @ Flynn Center
- Sat/Sun @ 12:30 – 4 am – Posey Quintet & Late Night Swing/Blues DJs @ Flynn Center
- Sun Sept 10 @ 1 – 4:30 pm – The Old City Buskers @ Laurel Theater
- Fri Sept 22 @ 10 pm – Scruffy City Syncopators @ Jig & Reel (21+ after 9)
- Thurs Sept 28 @ 7 pm – Shuffle n Sweets Balboa & Swing Night @ Phoenix Pharmacy
Interested in giving back to the swing dancing community by volunteering your time?
- Door Entry Workers (we have a strong need every week in this area)
- Dance Setup and Teardown Volunteers
- Newsletter Correspondents
- Social Media Contributors
- Equipment Managers
- Social Event Coordinators
- Weekly Announcement Makers
- Swing DJs
Knoxville Lindy Exchange
& Swing Festival
We’re back for year 17 of fantastic music, awesome venues, ridiculous competitions, delicious late night food, and great times. Prepare your Knoxville hospitality as dancers from across the region join us for a weekend of over 20 hours of dancing with some of the world’s best live swing music, right here in our Scruffy little City.
- I Heart Balboa Sept 1 – 3 Richmond, VA
Join us in lovely Richmond, Virginia over Labor Day weekend for our 2nd Annual I *Heart* Balboa dance weekend! with live music by the Mint Julep Jazz Band. Instructors: Kate Hedin & David Rehm (Boston), Heather Ballew (Denver) & Javier Johnson (FL), Chelsea Lee & David Lee (DC), Jen Barnett
- Knoxville Lindy Exchange (KLX) Sept 8 – 10 Knoxville, TN
Knoxville’s own weekend swing music and dance festival! Dancers from around the country will join us in our home town for another year of fantastic music, awesome venues, ridiculous competitions, delicious late night food, and great times. Don’t miss it!
- Lindy Hop on the Plains Sept 22 – 24 Auburn, AL
Beginner/intermediate Lindy Hop workshop, unbelievable amount of fun in “The Loveliest Village on the Plains.” Instructors: Advanced: Kerry Genese (New Orleans) & Tim Korkuc (Orlando), Intermediate: Cindi Lyons(St. Louis) & Jony Navarro (Orlando), Huy and Whitney Huynh (Huntsville), Beginner: Rachel Serkownek (Nashville) & Tyler Torpedo (Tulsa, OK)
- Swing In Sept 22 – 24 Indianapolis, IN
SwingIN’s TENTH Year as one of the largest dance events in the Mid-West. We’ll be pulling all the stops to make our “Big 10” the largest year ever. Instructors: Laura Glaess (Austin) & Todd Yannacone (New Orleans), S & H, LaTasha Barnes & Mo Hossain (DC)
- Classic City Swing Sept 29 – Oct 1 Athens, GA
Classic City Swing will be back this fall with more dancing, more silliness, and more excitement. – you want to be in Athens this September! Instructors: Naomi Uyama & Peter Strom (MN), Evita Arce & Michael Jagger (NY), Gabby Cook & Nathan Bugh (NY)
- Dance St Lou Blue Sept 29 – Oct 1 National Blues Museum visit discounts, live music, 3 tracks (with incredible instructors that you won’t want to miss), and countless hours of social dancing. Experience St. Louis charm as we Dance St. Louis Blue. Instructors: Jeff Meyer and Sara Lapan (NY), Ross Blythe and Sarah Lokay (Chicago), Laney Barhaugh and Joey Shelley (Boston)
- New Orleans Swing Dance Festival Sept 29 – Oct 1 New Orleans, LA
Live jazz and blues all day and night, multiple dance rooms, dance workshops with live music, open jam sessions for musicians and vocalists, 2nd line parade, and more to be announced after the new year.