April Progressive Series: The Big Apple
Taught by Kemper
The Big Apple is one of the most iconic solo routines in Swing dancing, danced in the movie “Keep Punchin” in by Whitey’s Lindy Hoppers and choreographed (this version) by the ambassador of swing, Frankie Manning. https://www.youtube.com/
The Big Apple had a long history as a called solo dance before being choreographed by Frankie Manning for Hollywood for the version we most popularly see today. It’s full of a ton of moves, so whether you’re interested in expanding your dance vocabulary, improving your movement, or learning more about the rich culture of swing dancers in the early 1900s, this class is one you DON’T want to miss! Keep up to date with the class.
Prerequisites: Solo classes are all open to all levels of dancers, but it is helpful to have had a few swing classes under your belt to help you understand how to better grasp the material in a group class setting.
Series meet every Wednesday downstairs at the Laurel Theater from 7-8:15 pm. Classes are $5 a night and include admission to the dance. Cardholders and local students may purchase 4 weeks at once for only $15 (1 week free).
Next month’s series will be Sugar Pushes!
Drop in and DJ schedule:
- April 5 – Music by Jeremy & Nick
7:00 – 7:30 pm Intermediate Drop In w/ D & Aliceann
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ D & Aliceann
- April 12 – Music by Bill & Aliceann
7:00 – 7:30 pm Intermediate Drop In w/ Carl & Rebecca
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Carl & Rebecca
- April 19 – Music by Nick & Geoffrey
7:00 – 7:30 pm Charleston Drop In w/ Roman & Aliceann
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Roman & Aliceann
- April 26 – Music by Aliceann
7:00 – 7:30 pm Office Hours w/ Thomas & Kamaryn
7:30 – 8:15 pm Beginner Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Thomas & Kamaryn
Dancing/Live Music around Knoxville:
- Fri 3/31 @ 7 pm – Rhythm Serenaders
- Sat 4/1 @ 10 am – Hard Knox Lindy Workshops and Beginner Workshop
- Sat 4/1 @ 7 pm – Rhythm Serenaders
- Sun 4/2 @ 5 pm – Hard Knox DJ Dance
- Mon 4/3 @ 10 pm – 9th St Stompers (Chattanooga) @ Barley’s (21+)
- Fri 4/21 @ 6 pm – Mac Arnold & Plateful o’ Blues @ Alive After Five – Knoxville Museum of Art (students and KSDA cardholders get a discount!)
- Fri 4/21 @ 7:30 pm – Alive and Kicking Movie Night post in the event or message the FB page for the address
- Thurs 4/27 @ 7:30 pm – Balboa & Swing Dance @ Phoenix Pharmacy & Soda Fountain
- Fri 4/28 @ 10 pm – 9th St Stompers (Chattanooga) @ Jig & Reel (21+ unless you get there early)
- Blues Shout (Blues) Apr 7 – 9. Chicago, IL
bluesSHOUT! is an annual celebration of Blues Dance, striving to bring you the best of the blues dance world every year through classes, competitions, and dances. bluesSHOUT! Competitions aim to inspire both the competitors and spectators to achieve their most creative, authentic, and expressive dancing. You can expect the very best bands and musicians from Chicago and beyond, providing three nights of live blues music, and keeping the floor packed all night long. Instructors: Damon Stone (Minneapolis), Dan Legenthal (Boston), Daniel Repsch (Montreal), Heidi Fite (San Francisco), Jennifer Sowden (NY), Julie Brown (Boston), Mike Grosser (Boston), Mike Legenthal (Boston), Ruth Evelyn (Boston), Timothy O’Neill (LA)
- DC Lindy Exchange (DCLX) Apr 7 – 9. Washington, DC
This year we’re celebrating with cherry blossoms, a carousel, and (obviously) a lot of bands. We’ve got some tricks up our sleeve, so keep a look out for more announcements as the event gets closer!
- Down South Camp Meeting Apr 14 – 16. Atlanta, GA
Good, down-home Lindy Hop, made to order! Down South Camp Meeting combines red hot lindy hop and old-fashioned Southern Hospitality to bring you a great dance weekend! Register a la carte, or get a discount with a full-weekend registration, you’re sure to have a great time at DSCM.
Instructors: Nina Gilkenson (Baltimore), Andy Reid (NOLA), Heather Ballew (Denver)
- Piedmont Swing Dance Society Workshop April 21 – 23. Greensboro, NC
Weekend workshop with Michael Jagger & Evita Arce (NY) and the Mint Julep Jazz Band.
- Jazz Jubilee April 21 – 23. Lexington, KY
Solo Jazz workshop weekend with Michael Falty Faltesek
- Soda City Lindy Exchange Apr 21 – 23. Columbia, SC
Welcome to historic Colatown for the inaugural Soda City Lindy Exchange! We pride ourselves in being “All South Carolina All the Time”.
- ChattaAtlNashKnoxCookIngham April 22. Chattanooga, TN
Celebrate Spring at another Chatta ATL Nash Knox Cook A Hunt Ingham. Live Music by “JJ and the Riff Raff”, lots of dancing, and a boatload of silliness.