August Level 1 Series: Jazz Dance Grab Bag
Taught by Geoffrey
Level 1 classes build off the few basics you’ve learned in the Level 0 drop ins to help you build dances on the social floor. August will be drop in style instead of progressive to accommodate students leaving and joining us as the summer comes to a close.
Join Geoffrey for a month of different types of jazz dancing you can see on the dance floor at the Laurel Theater! Topics will include:
Week 1 – Fox Trot,
Week 2 – Jitterbug Stroll
Week 3 – Shim Sham
Week 4 – Jazz Steps in Solo Dancing
Week 5 – Jazz Steps in Partner Dancing
Follow the event for updates.
Series classes meet every Wednesday downstairs at the Laurel Theater from 7-8:15 pm. Classes are $5 a night and include admission to the dance. Cardholders and local students may purchase 4 weeks at once for only $15 (1 week free).
Join us in September for Level 1 Swing – 6 Count Building Blocks of Lindy Hop with Kemper and Aliceann!
Drop in and DJ schedule:
- Aug 2 – Music with DJs Keith & Kemper
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Scott & Roman
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Scott & Roman
- Aug 9 – Music with DJ Bill & D
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Jeremy & Rose
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 8 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Jeremy & Rose
- Aug 16 – Music with DJ Aliceann & Nick
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Thomas & Roman
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Thomas & Roman
- Aug 23 – Keith & Jeremy
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Kemper & Aliceann
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Kemper & Aliceann
- Aug 30 – Music with DJ Bill & Kemper
7:00 – 7:30 pm Level 2 Drop In w/ Carl & Aliceann
7:30 – 8:15 pm Level 0 Drop In – 6 Count Lindy Hop/Swing w/ Carl & Aliceann
Dancing/Live Music around Knoxville:
- Every Thursday (except the last one) @ 7 pm – Old City Buskers w/ @ Phoenix Pharmacy & Soda Fountain
- Tues Aug 1 @ 10 pm – 9th Street Stompers (Chattanooga) @ Barley’s Old City (21+ after 9 pm)
- Mon Aug 7 @ 10 pm – Soggy Po Boys @ Barley’s Old City (21+ after 9 pm)
- Fri Aug 11 @ 7 pm – Blues Dance Party w/ drop in @ DeRail Zone
- Tues Aug 15 @ 7:30 pm – *POSTPONED* KSDA Board Meeting (Contact us for info and meeting address)
- Fri Aug 25 @ 10 pm – 9th Street Stompers (Chattanooga) @ Jig & Reel (21+ after 9 pm)
- Thurs Aug 31 @ 7 pm – Shuffle n Sweets Balboa & Swing Night @ Phoenix Pharmacy
Interested in giving back to the swing dancing community by volunteering your time?
- Door Entry Workers (we have a strong need every week in this area)
- Dance Setup and Teardown Volunteers
- Newsletter Correspondents
- Social Media Contributors
- Equipment Managers
- Social Event Coordinators
- Weekly Announcement Makers
- Swing DJs
Knoxville Lindy Exchange
& Swing Festival
We’re back for year 17 of fantastic music, awesome venues, ridiculous competitions, delicious late night food, and great times. Prepare your Knoxville hospitality as dancers from across the region join us for a weekend of over 20 hours of dancing with some of the world’s best live swing music, right here in our Scruffy little City.
- Bal-Ast Off (Balboa) Aug 4 – 6. Huntsville, AL
LET THE COUNTDOWN SEQUENCE COMMENCE….. This year we have *SIX* tracks of Balboa classes planned for you, taught by some of the best instructors in the world! Including a beginner friendly balboa flight school! Instructors: Jeremy Otth (LA) & Laura Keat (Denver), David Rehm & Kate Hedin (Boston), Bobby White (NY), Shani Brown & Jacob Wigger (LA), David & Chelsea Lee (DC), Corey & Susan Manke (Nashville), Matt Mitchell & Jenn Barnett (Austin)
- Cincy Hop Aug 11 – 13. Cincinnati, OH
CincyHop is an annual weekend of vintage swing dancing in Cincinnati, OH. There will be over 24 hours of dancing (in one weekend!) to great live bands and talented DJs in different venues all around the city. The full-weekend pass gets you into EIGHT dances, featuring music from Chelsea Reed and the Fair Weather Five, The Jazz Coasters, Noah Wotherspoon, and our talented DJs!
- Great Lakes Balboa Escape Aug 18 – 20. Chicago, IL
Take classes with at least three sets of international instructors specifically tailored to meet your dancing goals. Class tracks include: Solid Fundamentals, Social Dancer, Pure Bal, The Competitor, Slow Bal, and Teacher Training. Come shuffle with us and enjoy our Midwestern friendliness! Instructors: Mickey Fortanasce (NY), Kelly Arsenault (Knoxville), Jen Barnett (Austin), Matt Mitchell (Austin), Nelle Cherry, Yoshi Uemura (Pasadena), Shani Brown (LA), Augie Freeman (CA), Andreas Olsson (Sweden), Olga Marina (Sweden)
- Southbound Blues Exchange Aug 25 – 27. Nashville, TN
Join us in Music City this August for a world class lineup of bands, DJs, and competitions showcasing the blues and providing a fun-filled weekend for Vol. II. 6 bands plus DJ Showcase, Friday Soul Room, Nashville Musician Jam Band, Southern Brunch Themed Late Night Food.
- International Lindy Hop Championships (workshops, competitions) Aug 24 – 27. Washington, DC
4-days of dance experiences that include amazing competitions, high-level workshops, thought provoking LED talks and tons of social dancing to top notch live music. Come join us in Washington DC and watch the best of the best Lindy Hoppers in the world strut their stuff every August! Instructors: Ramona (Australia), Remy (France), Skye (NY), Frida (Sweden), Nick (OC), Alice (France), Todd (New Orleans), Vincenzo, Mo, Kevin (San Fran), Jo (San Fran), Naomi (Minneapolis), Annie (Montreal)